The project involves extensive re-roofing and decarbonisation as part of Manchester City Councils drive to achieve Zero Carbon by 2035.
Zion Arts Centre is a charity arts and theatre venue located on the outskirts of Manchester City Centre. The centre provides a range of activities, shows and events for children and families.
The principal works involve the renewal of all flat and pitched roof coverings and roof lights. Pitched roofs are to be renewed in new and retained slate. Flat roofs are to have a built-up mineral felt covering.
Ancillary works involve decarbonisation of the building such as the refurbishment of the air handling units, replacing light fittings for LED, air source heat pumps and photovoltaic cells.
Some of the added value commitments will include:-
• a minimum of 70% local employment
• work experience opportunities for a minimum of 2 students
• a minimum of 24 apprentice weeks
• tree planting to generate a carbon offset
• a minimum of 12 volunteer hours for careers talks and site updates for local colleges and community groups
• a minimum of 6 community engagement activities with the centre and local community