The project involves the expansion of Firs Primary School from 2FE admission (60 children per year) to 3FE (90 children per year) from September 2022.
Works comprise the design and construction of a new 2 storey extension to the existing school providing 9 additional classrooms, a studio, group rooms and additional welfare facilities.
Year 6 pupils are to be relocated into temporary classrooms for the duration of the works. Internal refurbishment and alterations will be taking place to provide a new food technology room and larger staff and SEN facilities. The temporary classrooms will assist in minimising disruption for teachers, pupils and parents.
Firs Primary is a Forest School and embraces Learning Outside of the Classroom. The design of the new extension will focus on embracing the external environment and encouraging pupils and staff to utilise the extensive grounds of the school.
Some of the added value commitments will include:
• a minimum of 80% local employment
• a minimum of 24 weeks work experience for local school/college students
• a minimum of 45 apprentice weeks
• tree planting to generate a carbon offset
• enhancement of the school’s existing Learning Outside of the classroom experience